Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Financial Peace University Class 2: Relating with Money

BFF Dave is HILARIOUS. I would definitely be his friend.

Last night's class was in regards to how men and women relate with money - and our differences. I was laughing, as was the entire class, when various examples were thrown out because I could so see myself in one category and Peter in another.

In the past year I've had to (drastically) change my spending habits. I was guilty of being what BFF Dave called a "Free Spirit." I have an unhealthy addiction to shopping. I lovingly refer to it as 'retail therapy.' Let me tell you, my 'retail therapy' cost me more than my brief stint in actual therapy so my shopping wasn't always therapeutic. I have become more of a "Nerd" in the fact that I like saving money, I like seeing where my money is going and I am much more disciplined than I was in the past.

It's only been a week but I've made a few strides in my debt pay-down and savings:

May 17 New emergency fund: $0
May 17 Balance on my car: $7,426.99
May 17 Balance on my student loans: $46,248.21

May 24 New emergency fund: $115 (+$115)
May 24 Balance on my car: $7,444.11 (+17.12)
May 24 Balance on my student loans: $46,031.77 (-216.44)
(Balance is the wrong term; I should be using "Pay off amount" as that's the number I've been looking at.)

Totals for 13-week class:
Money saved: $115
Debt paid down: $199.32


**Principal Balance on Student Loans as of May 24, 2011: $45,943.88

No comments:

Post a Comment