Friday, February 18, 2011

"The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan." - Dave Ramsey

One of my favorite songs on Miranda Lambert’s “Revolution” cd has a line that goes, “I’m not easy to understand but you know me like the back of your hand. I’m your girl and you’re my man. And we’re makin’ plans…”

Not to be too lovey-dovey, but I think it’s very fitting for a number of reasons. One, I adore my husband and he loves me more than I ever thought possible. And two, we are legitimately making plans. And I think Dave Ramsey *whom (or who?) I just decided shall now be known as BFF Dave* would agree that we have dreams that have morphed into goals because we have a plan. And those of you who know me, you know I have to have a plan. While I can fly by the seat of my pants, I am so good about writing down what it is I need to do to get to where I want to be – and I’ve been making progress on my plans!

February Updates!

Goal one: Financial Fitness

Without giving away TOO much personal information, I’m ecstatic to say that I am making progress in my baby steps from BFF Dave (can you tell I’m drinking the BFF Dave kool-aid?)! I am moving onto baby step number 2: debt snowballing!

I am also reading “Total Money Makeover” by my BFF Dave. I love his no-nonsense approach. Though he is a bit harsh at times, it is very necessary to read. For example, he point blank says you (aka me, myself and I) are the reason for your money problems. Too often we (read: I) try to blame others or even things that happen as the reason but really? I made those choices. I knew what I was doing. Did I know what the outcomes would be? No, but I could have prevented some of my problems. I am my own problem and you know what? I’m FIXING myself therefore fixing my problems – with a plan.

Sometimes it's difficult but I know it will be worth it in the end. As BFF Dave says, you have to learn to say no. This past weekend I was fortunate to spend some time with some great friends from grad school. But I also knew my financial limitations. I enjoyed myself and stayed within my budget. In fact, I spent a little bit less than I planned. You know what I did with the leftover amount? If you guessed, "put it into savings?!" you would right on the money (pun totally intended).

Starting with March, I will be paying $325 on my car payment. If my math is correct, I will still be paid off within two years; however, I will need to raise my payments again down the road. Also in March, I will start receiving my small yet helpful paychecks from my part-time job, so I can continue to save AND pay off debt. I am still working on funding my “being prepared” fund – which for me is drastically different from our emergency fund. I will need tires in the spring which is coming up soon as well as paying my car taxes. Time to start preparing!

Goal two: Create and maintain a healthy lifestyle

I finished 30 day shred and I’m slowly losing weight. I have to often remind myself that I’ve made some really awesome progress and that in time, the rest of the weight will come off. I’m so excited and ready to just be healthier. It’s very motivating. I’ve said since the beginning that I would be so upset if one day the doctor told me one day that I had health problems that could have prevented by something as easy as diet and exercise.

I LOVE the treadmills at the gym where I work. They are super fancy. I know I couldn’t afford a gym membership right now, so I’m very thankful to have the opportunity to use their facilities.

Goal three: Broaden my intellectual horizons

The fact that I’m reading a nonfiction, non-Jen Lancaster book is really quite an accomplishment :) I’m excited to finish “Total Money Makeover” and look forward to picking up more financial books. I completely believe that the more that I read, understand and learn through books, resources, websites, etc. the better I will become at my money management skills. In fact, Caroline mentioned the Dave Ramsey Radio Show and I now listen to him instead of the radio at work starting at 2pm. Sometimes I’ll even listen to the archives of his show.

AND I can’t believe it but I’ve actually MADE PROGRESS on my doctoral application. YAY! I have two recommenders confirmed, my writing sample and resume submitted and I’ve requested my transcripts. I am trying not to get my hopes up because I don’t want to be terribly disappointed if I don’t get accepted to the program; however, it’s hard not to get excited about the opportunity to further expand my education horizons.

We are moving right on into March and I’m dubbing it “Makeover March,” as I’ve got so many things on my “to-do” list! Next post: Plan for Makeover March!

No comments:

Post a Comment