Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11, 2011 - 10 Years Later

I don’t remember the tiny details. I don’t remember what I was wearing nor do I remember the weather that day, but I do remember walking to newspaper class (Gavel) where I was editor.

I remember walking with a classmate in the hallway, asking each other, “did you hear what happened?”

I remember my first thought being, “oh wow, that’s so awful about the plan crash! I wonder if the plan malfunctioned or if the weather was bad in New York?” A terrorist attack didn’t even cross my mind, until a few minutes later when the second tower was hit and the media began stating that this was an attack on America.

Side note: Sadly, when we had the earthquake a couple weeks ago, my first thought was a terror attack. Sad how different our mindset has changed in ten years.

As we were watching the footage, we watched in horror as the towers fell. I remember thinking, “did we REALLY just watch that happen?”

While my heart was breaking for New York, the events really hit home when we started hearing that the Pentagon was hit. In high school, it was a running joke that we had friends who had parents who worked for the government but that their families didn’t know what their job actually entailed because they weren’t allowed to tell anyone what they really did. I was worried about my classmates – were their moms and dads safe?

Then I started wondering if we should be concerned in Winchester. We were about 80 miles outside of DC; had a bomb or something with wide-spread destruction hit DC, we certainly would have felt the effects.

As we are reflecting on what that day meant 10 years ago, I am humbled by the stories of all of the victims and first responders. I am also in awe of the passengers of Flight 93, the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania.

To think that those people – “ordinary, everyday” men and women – took it upon themselves to sacrifice their lives and safety to keep as many people as they could safe? That’s truly the American spirit. Thinking of our fellow citizens before thinking of ourselves? That’s heroic, beautiful and something that I will never forget.

To those who serve an exemplify that kind of selfless-ness daily – either as a firefighter, police officer, a member of the military both civilian and especially those on the front line – I don’t think thank you is adequate, but they are the only words that I have: Thank you. To think that there are those who risk their safety and their lives every single day for the freedom and well-being of their country men and women fills my heart with so much gratitude and pride.

To those who serve that I personally know, I am thankful to know such amazing men and women. Our country is better simply because you are willing to make sacrifices that many of us can’t even fathom.

To those who are hurting today, it’s ok to hurt. It’s ok to cry. To make sure those deaths are not in vain and to ensure that evil does not prevail, it’s important to reflect and remember. It does not show weakness; it shows resolve and compassion. It’s important to remember those feelings – good, bad, sad, happy – so that we can grasp the extent of the event.

Remember what’s important. Remember to be thankful. Remember to say I love you. Good can only defeat evil when love fills our hearts. Don’t wait for another tragedy to come before you start living your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment